Business coaching for business owners
I help business owners to better define their difference and grow their professional reputation, so they can attract (far) more ideal clients.
You've been self-employed for at least 18 months in a services business (you don't sell goods)
You get word-of-mouth referrals, but business is neither steady nor predictable
You have plenty of ideas but have trouble discerning the great ones from the rest
You’ve been told your business is different but you struggle to explain this, simply and compellingly
You're already marketing regularly, but know you could get better
You value an expert opinion to move your business forward from someone who has extensive, real-world experience and isn't a career coach
You want someone unafraid of difficult conversation, who honestly wants to move your business forward, not just tell you that everything is wonderful
You’re fiercely independent and derive great satisfaction from crafting your own living, on your own terms, using your own smarts.
Self-employment ain’t easy.I salute you. As a business owner for more than nine years now, believe me when I say I know how you feel.
I’ve met countless extremely talented people who are truly gifted at what they do, with clients who adore them, but they are struggling to earn good money and feeling tired, worn down and perhaps a little over it. They often believe that they need to figure everything out by themselves.
That is simply not true.
Business coaches are only good for two things
There are just two things that business coaches are good for – blind spots and short-cuts. Our blind spots can cost us a lot of money. And the worst part? We’re oblivious. You don’t know what you don’t know. Sometimes a tiny tweak to your process or change in our perspective brings a massive leap forward.
Short-cuts save you time, money and heartache. Now I’m playing the long game in business and I suspect you are too. I’d far rather treat people well and trust that it’s coming back to me, than make a fast buck. But that doesn’t mean we’ll refuse a smart short-cut, right?
The process of working together is excellent. I’ve had a huge amount of practical advice on everything from putting together proposals to writing for my audience. Since coaching, I’ve made changes to my website, started blogging, changed where and how I work, and been far more productive. Brook’s advice on improving SEO led to a new client finding me only through my website for the first time ever! Brook cheered me on as I prepared my proposal and I landed a big new contract. I feel far more confident in my business and where I’m headed since coaching. Catherine O’Dwyer
Why I’m a business coach (and could possibly be yours)
I’ve been working in small businesses my entire career. The steepest learning curve of my life was working in south-east Asia for two years as a small group tour leader. In this crazy busy job, I honed my interpersonal skills, quickly gaining people’s trust, bonding a group of diverse, intercultural individuals in a variety of unpredictable and sometimes stressful situations, and learnt to make quick, and sometimes difficult, decisions without missing a beat.
I began working in online communications in 2005 when, working as a PR consultant for an international corporation, we consistently blew our best-ever month-on-month website results and the client’s communications head in Sweden wanted to know just what I was doing. It was easy to explain – I was simply writing more interesting, newsworthy, topical articles in a respectful, intelligent tone-of-voice.
In 2008, I struck out on my own and, within three months of commencing, had six retainer clients and was earning the same as in my former PR agency role.
Since 2008, I’ve work with hundreds of sole traders, business owners and entrepreneurs from a variety of industries, on how to sharpen their strategy, tighten their focus, magnify their reach and grow their business. I’ve scrutinised how businesses race ahead and where they typically encounter speed humps.
I’ve always preferred coaching and training to implementing, because equipping and empowering people means change is more likely to endure – not just now, but into the future.
Working with self-employed people is a privilege because we tend to be a passionate, adventurous, creative and quirky bunch.
You want to work for the love and the money? I get it. I do too. Perhaps you’ve tried a few sales or marketing techniques that everybody else is doing. Maybe you’ve taken a few courses or had coaching where you’ve been told to jump on the latest bright shiny thing and play follow the leader, but you’ve known, deep down, that it’s not for you.
Business coaching with me involves honing in on your innate strengths, talents and points of difference, to help you redesign your business from the inside out, so that it (really) works for you.
This one-to-one mentor program is the culmination of my experience and expertise from more than twelve years’ experience in digital marketing and communications, and more than eight years’ experience in training and coaching.
I’ve been told that I’m not a typical business coach
I’ve been told that I’m more like a marketing consultant, business advisor, or reputation strategist, than a “normal” business coach. I’m highly practical, with real-world, up-to-date digital marketing experience. I’m also opinionated. That means you won’t get the same-old out-of-the-box solutions that every book/blog/webinar regurgitates.
I want to help you build something that will work and endure – which means sustainable marketing and a solid business model that works to your strengths. I’m not going to give you broad recommendations that you could find in a business book.
Although I specialise in digital marketing for small business owners, a lot of my suggestions are tried-and-true techniques: like building real life relationships, writing direct pitches, and (shock! horror!) picking up the phone more often to talk with your clients and community.
Give me four months of your time and attention and I’ll help your business to thrive.
Four-month business coaching package
Coaching with me is a minimum four month commitment, with the option to commit month-to-month beyond that.
Although I’m regularly asked if I offer one-off business coaching sessions, I don’t, because enduring change and big bold moves aren’t possible after a single session. I don’t want to give you a quick-fix that leaves you feeling inspired, but a week later, you’re back where you started. I work with people in whom I have confidence that I’ll actually help make a substantial, long-term positive impact in their businesses. I don’t want to take your money otherwise.
Since working with Brook, I’ve taken big action in two key target areas that I identified when we started working together. I took a big step to invest financially in the business, in both systems and people. Our entire marketing is set up and automated now, so I’m less reliant on personal strengths and time constraints. We have a brand new beautiful website, thanks to Brook and her team. And I’ve engaged a social media person too, to generate credibility-boosting numbers and activity in social media.
Coaching with Brook has renewed my faith in my own decision making compass. The launch of three unique product lines has been far more scalable and less reliant on my personal contacts and my personal hours. Our second corporate event made a profit and received incredible feedback. And our brand is positioned to best capture the audience we want to sell to.
I’d happily recommend Brook’s business coaching. Cath Nolan
“Choices lead to habits. Habits become talents. Talents are labeled gifts. You’re not born this way, you get this way.”
After seven years of relying on word-of-mouth to keep my yoga business ticking along, I’m now seeing obvious positive changes having worked with Brook.
I wouldn’t hesitate in recommending her public courses and coaching. Mitch Gibson
Together, we can cover:
Business by design
Uncover your ideal client
Know your strengths
Define your difference
Profits and pricing
Designing and refining your seductive offerings
Devilish digital details
Since working with Brook, I wrote The Clean Yogi book and invited international yogis like Amy Ippoliti, Tiffany Cruickshank and others to contribute. I’ve taught at various festivals around Australia, including Evolve and Wanderlust. I spent almost three months in Fiji offering retreats and teaching yoga in 2014, and I stayed grounded and focused – most of the time – even being involved in so many massive things.
Brook taught me how to be more bold and direct in my communications with my clients and collaborators and to see the things as they are, without feeling so personally affected. It felt safe to express my fears, struggles and to be honest, because you created the space for it and you were too. The sessions were intense, focused and always left me with a juicy heap of inspiration and motivation. I felt strong and totally on the right path. Alexa Nehter
Essential information & investment:
- One-to-one support twice a month for four months (eight sessions in total) via the internet (I use Zoom).
- Our first session together is 90 hours minutes minimum, where we attempt to empty your head into mine. We review where you’re at and where you want to be, and nail key goals you have for your business coaching.
- The following seven sessions are 60 minutes each.
- Recordings of all our sessions together.
- Your action plan, which we develop together throughout our coaching. You’ll always know what you’re doing, what to prioritise, and (most importantly) what you don’t have to worry about.
- Email me in between our sessions for those freak-outs/epiphanies, clarifying questions or “help please” requests for further information.
- My little black book of trusted industry experts (invaluable!). Need a copywriter, website designer, SEO nerd, photographer, videographer, PR person or extraordinary organising-type person? I know just the guy (and no, I didn’t find them on Fiverr).
- Supporting information, templates and exercises that I’ve developed, which have been tried and tested in large and small training groups and with my clients.
- A 10% discount to my flagship group coaching program, Hustle & Heart, to be used within two years of commencing coaching with me.
$2400 in full upfront (excluding GST) or $690 per month for 4 months (excluding GST).
This could be perfect for you if:
- You’re not afraid of hard work but you want to see results, dammit!
- You want to whip things into streamlined, super-organised, optimised-and-radicalised shape.
- You want your brand to be a far more accurate and powerful reflection of your business.
- You want to spoil your clients and community and make them feel special, while also respecting your own boundaries, knowing that you have to be in the best shape possible if you are to truly be of service to your community.
- You appreciate that the most effective businesses are always experimenting, testing and refining and the most successful business owners aren’t afraid of taking chances.
This won’t work if:
- You are looking to for a secret formula to grow your business quickly without any additional effort.
- You can’t afford this (I do not recommend you go into debt for business coaching).
- You already have a plan and know what you need to do but you need motivation (you’ll likely want a motivational coach. That’s not me, but I’ll happily recommend someone if you get in touch).
- You’re looking to give away responsibility for your business failures as well as successes.
- You aren’t willing or able to dedicate at least two extra hours a week, on top of your normal work, to put plans into action outside of our sessions.
Ready to talk?
If you’re read this page, know what’s involved and are keen to do business coaching with me, then schedule yourself in for a 15 minute chat so we can see if we’re suited to each other.
After you pick your time, you’ll be directed to fill out a form so that I can learn a little more about you and your business.